Be a part of creating the work you want to see in the world.
When you make a pledge to The 3rd Thing, here’s where your money goes:
- Not to us: The 3rd Thing is staffed by a tiny band of dedicated volunteers. Here at 3rd, time is decidedly not money.
- Writers & Artists: 40-80% of a project’s overall budget goes to pay the people who create it, including authors, filmmakers, curators, land acknowledgment writers and cover artists.
- Printing & Paper: 20-55% of the cover price of one of our books is material costs. And this is going up, even as we try to keep prices down.
- Shipping: Any given book ships at least twice and often four or more times before it reaches the reader.
- Promotions & Award Submissions: We dedicate about 15% of the budget of every project to promoting it – this goes to award submission, distributor fees, conference fees and the cost of printing Advance Review Copies.
What Your Pledge Makes Possible
- $50 – Media artist honorarium
- $100 – Land Acknowledgment Writer honorarium
- $250 – Cover artist honorarium
- $500 – Standard author advance
- $1000 – Letterpress book covers
- $2500 – A short print run of one slender book